Saturday, September 13, 2008

holy crap, i'm an anarcho-primitivist


I can't do anything concrete about it yet, but I am scheming how to drop out. Get off the grid, grow my own food, live in an intentional community with family and perhaps a few like-minded individuals. I've become a bit of a curmudgeon, but with good reason, I think. This is because most people are two-faced idiots that I've had enough of. It's because I no longer want any part of our present socio-economic system. It's because our electoral system and politics are crooked and distasteful. And I don't want to spend this life fighting it and struggling among the masses. I just want to live out my days doing things that truly matter. Like growing food and building tangible things, whether they be practical or creative or relational (or all in one). Oh yeah, and rewilding, too. What a great word and concept.

Anarcho-primitivism

P.S. Belatedly, my wife gets credit for exposing me to anarcho-primitivism

11 comments:

twin said...

I knew you had it in you! Where do I sign up....?

Gazelle said...

No doubt there will be more posts on this subject in the future. Exciting stuff and I will keep you informed...

Foul Pete said...

Want to borrow some Zerzan and Jensen?

Foul Pete said...

Endgame
Against civilization
Twilight of the machines

and so on...

Gazelle said...

I don't know, Pete. Will reading these authors help me activate? I want to DO, not ponder. Moreover, I'm following my intuition and this guide: http://www.powells.com/cgi-bin/biblio?inkey=1-9780805209709-17

Foul Pete said...

It is 90% about being an arm-chair theorist anyway...

Gazelle said...

If that's what you let it be! But I hear you - anarchist thought has some juicy ideas to chew on. It's like a hobby.

I'll check out those titles.

Foul Pete said...

Sorry for the cynisicm. I'm with you on this. I feel approaches like this are the only hope for our species and planet... and sanity...

Rick said...

Gazelle,

I read Endgame on FW's urging. On Tuesday I went for a sunrise surf. I got out of the water at 8:30 and there was a dread standing on the boardwalk. His surly bike and surfboard were on the boardwalk next to my car. We started talking. He'd been on the road 10 years and was from down under. Most recently he'd been riding his bike from mainland Mexico up through the east coast and now in Nova Scotia. He'd read Jensen, Henry Miller, Hess, etc. We talked for a long time. He said he wasn't an anarchist but had chosen to live on the fringe. He'd work here and there. Told me that he would only take a job for money if he felt like he could also do it for free. I asked him how he got food when the money was tight. "I steal it." No remorse just truth. You could tell that his senses were sharp and tuned in. His character judgment on point -it needed to be. He was living with hardly any impact. Not that that was his intention. He was mild mannered, polite and grateful. I have been inspired all week to continue to simplify.

One thing he left me with was that it's not about humanity or the planet but living according to your own values -intentionally.

ras

Gazelle said...

There is something a bit sad about a rambling life, even if the rambler seems content. I believe we are meant to develop relationships and work on them over time, which cannot be done if you're continually moving on. Every such person I've met was running away from something, although it's true that they are often interesting people.

Maybe I've just become a homebody in my middle age, but building my own house and garden holds a lot more allure than the work I currently do.

walrus said...

Some people need to be ramblers, ramblers tend to be seed (idea) throwers, planting a different way of looking at life to the masses, I and my whanau have been been ramblers/south sea gypsies forever..sometimes its a bane but mostly it just feels right..try it