Wednesday, December 19, 2007

pv cove


Photo by Grannis

Okay, enough of the heavy posts for awhile. This is not one of my favorite Grannis images, but it brings a smile to my face when I think of all the times I surfed here, and the sheer joy of surfing at spots that involve a little hike through nature to get to the water. We've got a few of those here in Oregon, and it's all part of the experience.

As for the Cove, I can say two main things about it - it can handle very big swells, and it was one of the few places in Santa Monica Bay I'd risk surfing during or after the rains - lots o' kelp offshore and lots of permeable surface as the runoff rushed down the cliffs. Oh, and one more important thing to know when it rains in L.A. and there's a big WNW'er running - south-southwest winds blow offshore here...

P.S. I hope to have some new photography to share soon, and some more archival shots when I get the time to scan 'em in.

1 comment:

pranaglider said...

I have a freind that grew up in PV. Great stories, and one of the only places that can hold big swell in the area. Fortunately a lack of parking / access has saved the place so far. Great old shot. Truely the good old days!